Help Build the Scholarship Fund
Where are the James Baldwins, Audre Lordes, and Truman Capotes of today? Queer writers abound in high schools and colleges everywhere; they and their friends have unique contributions to make to their schools and to the larger community. Some have the potential, with proper support, to go on to become the creators of the award-winning books and plays we will be reading in the coming years.
As Queer Scholars, these young writers can positively affect the conditions of their fellow LGBT students and other queer youth. Collected, their writings can become queer-the-curriculum materials that schools and teachers can use for positive change.
Since 2006 the Queer Foundation's Effective Writing and Scholarships Program has provided scholarships to talented young queer writers attending colleges and universities throughout the United States. Generous donations from individuals like you will help establish the firm financial foundation for the future. Please donate today.
100% of your contribution will go to provide a scholarship for a young queer writer to study queer theory or a related field at the U.S. college or university of his or her choice. Examples of related fields are queer medical, legal, or social issues.
The Queer Foundation is a Washington nonprofit corporation and a 501(c)(3) public charity. Find us on GuideStar.org (search for "queer scholars").
Your donation can help promote the best and brightest young queer writers of today. See below for the many ways you can help.
The Queer Foundation depends on the generous contributions of time and resources by numerous volunteers. If you would like to help, please consider these volunteer opportunities.
Seeking Board Members—If you are a medical professional, teacher, counselor, parent, godparent, business person, young queer, or a friend of young queers and you are interested in helping queer youth with problems of homelessness, please consider volunteering your time and expertise.
To apply to become a member of the Advisory Board, please send a letter explaining how you can contribute to Joseph Dial at firstname.lastname@example.org. Finalists will be asked to submit a résumé and the names of three references.
Diverse regional representation is needed. Participation on the Advisory Board can occur via email.
Volunteers Needed—Successful gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender individuals and their friends are needed to help identify and coach talented and academically gifted queer youth and their friends in writing an essay dealing with the educational or social situation of queer youth. Volunteers are also needed to serve as judges to evaluate the essays and to interview the authors of winning essays.
What Can I Do to Support the Queer Foundation's Effective Writing and Scholarships Program?
Your generous donation of time or resources will make possible the following services:
- Funding for scholarships for Queer Scholars to attend the U.S. college or university of their choice
- Coaching for scholarship applicants. Depending on their essay topics, coaching expertise is needed in medical and social service fields as well as in research methodology and writing, possibly also audio/video production and/or Web site development
- Judging of applicants' essays, interviewing applicants, and checking their references
- Mentoring for scholarship recipients
- Tutoring as needed for scholarship recipients
- Monitoring scholarship recipients' personal, academic, and social development
- Preparation of curriculum materials for high school teachers and counselors
- Liaison with high school counselors and college financial aid officers and academic advisers
- Legal advice regarding responsibility and liability and otherwise protecting donated resources
To volunteer, please contact Joseph Dial at email@example.com.